Sunday, May 06, 2007

Millions of gods?!

In India there are a lot of hindues. Millions. The hindues have more than two million gods. A few of them we've maybe been taught about in Religion at school, like Shiva, Krishna and Ganesh.

The different gods have different tasks, or you might say different areas of "responsibility". If you need good luck, you pray and offer to a god of luck, if you need a friend, another god might make you one. If you're at the age of marriage, why not pray to a god of love? But there are no god that cares for all your needs.

The last day in India before we went to Bhutan, we went to a hindu temple in Delhi. I got something to cover my naked shoulders (I wore a dress), we all took of our shoes, and left the cameraes in the security boxes. Then we were ready to enter the temple.

There were altars and gods everywhere, and the guide pointed at one of them and said: "If you need money, you pray to that god." He went to the altar, prayed, and got a red mark at his forehead. "It means good luck," he said.

There is a god called "Shiva" in the Hinduism. "Shiva" means "the destroyer". Destruction is then a part of the divinity according to the Hinduism.

What a big difference from my great God!

An interesting scripture in the Bible tells us "We're all gods," because we're made in God's image. In that way there are not only millions, but billions of gods who have lived or are living in the world. But none of these "gods" can compare to my God - He who's called "The Almighty" and who has created us.

I belong to ONE God who is great enough to meet ALL my needs. I don't need to pray and offer to twenty different gods to get through the day. He only wants one offer from me, and that's my heart; my "yes" to Him as my boss and saviour. He cares for all parts of my life. There is one more thing: he has given us gifts so that WE can meet each other's needs too! What a mastermind! :D

AND there is no god such as Shiva in Christianity. "The destroyer" is the devil himself, the Bible tells us.

Wow! What blessing to belong to a lifegiving, caring and great God! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!
Bra skrevet

sup141 said...

Thanks for the insight on 2,000,000 gods. I take it you don't believe in them. I don't either.
I don't believe in the Aztek or Inca gods either, in spite of the blood thirsty nature of their gods.
I don't have to investigate the African gods to know I don't believe in them. Probably you don't either.
It is an accident of birth or association that makes those people believe in them.
As we become more knowledgeable, gods are gonna die.
Jannej, you are only one god away from reality. Study more.