Saturday, October 20, 2007

Level up

Before I started school this year, I got to know what teachers I would have this year. I got very disappointed when I read the list. I didn't get the same teacher in Maths and Chemistry, and I didn't get the teacher I'd been hoping for in rather Religion or History. I got in a bad mood those days and was very frustrated. I even thought I would rather move to Oslo and continue school there than having these teachers.

As school started and went on, I experienced that my frustration was quite unfounded. I actually got quite satisfied with my teachers. I found my behaviour, though I didn't complain very much, quite spoilt. Because these few things didn't get my way, I didn't look forward to the semester. I lost my inspiration and motivation, but didn't even know who my teacher in Maths was or how the teacher in History would teach. Stupid of me, but a very everyday way to react and look at things in Norway, and I guess in other western countries too.

It's like our starting point is a perfect life, and that every little thing that goes "wrong" is cruelly spoiling our life, trying to pull it a level down. And we say "I don't think God likes me," and focus on every problem or challenge instead of counting the blessings. But then, if you rather look at our starting point as a down level life, and that every little thing that actually goes your way is trying to push you life a level up, you soon get in a better mood. You're looking for good things. You look at your day and see it's a good day because you got a text message from a friend who thought of you. The sun shone and somebody found your wrist watch which you had lost. The bus driver smiled to you even though you had to stop it on the road.

In the western world it is a challenge to see the blessings. We are surrounded by them, they're a part of our circumstances. Only when they're gone, we see how lucky and blessed we really are.

I got the teacher I wanted in Physics, in P.E. and in Norwegian. My teacher in Maths is inspiring, and so young! A 26 years old woman teaching Maths - that's so cool! My teacher in History is understanding and does not put anybody's name down if we're late for first class. The Chemistry teacher is calm and is not causing stress. I have a fantastic family, many friends, have been in Oslo three times within a period of six weeks, belong to a loving God who cares about the details in my friends' lives (and in my life). I have food and water and electricity, and lives in a land with democracy. I'm blessed. My life is constantly jumping a level up, but I have to remind myself about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I can write messages on comments with my new notebook Acer Windows Vista! It feels good jumping!
Words of teaching you are telling the readers in the text Silje! I understand that you are clever in language, science and mathematics. Your parents have rose you up in good ways! Continue to be blessed for the rest of the school year!
What is P.E.?

Anonymous said...

Du har forstått noe som eg tror (desverre) få forstår viktigheten av, nemlig:
SE ALLTID DET POSITIVE i hverdagen..det hjelper langt på vei i vårt livsløp =)

Solveig M said...

så bra skrevet, storesøster:) det er så sant, vi glemmer så alt for lett å fokusere på alt det positive, som er så ufattelig mye mer enn det negative eller tilsynelatende negtive!

Idalexa said...

litt flaut at æ ikkje leste det før nå, men utrolig bra skrevet, bra mening og bra du! idaklem

Anonymous said...

MayBE:) you wanna give us readers some words & pictures so we can have some to think about during Christmas time..?

Merry wonderful Christmas with lot of joy & peace and Blessed New Year to your family!!!